Sunday, September 1, 2013

This is how it works

Welcome to September, the land of newness (changing colors) and oldness (everything dies) and all things Fall. My story, the novel, Nondescript, begins in September, with crunching leaves and crisp mornings. We open the story to the narration of a young woman named Gwen, traveling alone on a path in the woods. She finds herself in a familiar place after a long journey that no one knows she's taken.

And as much as I would love to begin telling you all about the world of Nondescript and why it's called that and why it's so important, I'm not going to give anyone that satisfaction just yet.

In my first post I explained what exactly this blog will be about, and you got to see a little bit of my writing style, and experience my vast knowledge of books. Vast. So vastly vast, you don't even know. Okay, maybe it's not that vast, but it was a part of me, and now I want to tell you a bit more about myself.

Here are some things you might want to know about me:
1. I am professionally inexperienced. That is, I write for pleasure, but not for money. (yet!) I would love to get paid to do what I love, but I'll do it without the pay because... well, this is what I love.
2. I am 25 years old, as of 5 days ago. You can read about it here. I will sincerely try not to have a quarter-life crisis while writing this blog.
3. The link above goes to my other (personal) blog, The Other Sock. It's sort of cool.
4. I might mention my husband now and then. I'm not making him up, I swear he's a real person. His name is Joey, and we've been married since June 2011.
We're awesome.
5. I graduated from TIU in May, with a degree in English & Secondary Education. I might discuss parts of college life, but it's unlikely I'll ever mention my Ed. classes. I probably won't talk about any of this until much later, when I explain how I wrote the novella for my creative writing course.
6. I like love  eatbreathesleep words and writing much more than so many things in the world, although they are closely paired with hot cups of coffee and the sound of the ocean. I am one of those people who doodle words because they are aesthetically pleasing; I own a Scrabble mug and a New York Times Crossword mug AND a mug with an ampersand on it. I might occasionally explain the difference between using words like "shouted" and "cursed." WORDS. They are important. Therefore, I will explain why the novel is called Nondescript.

Now, here are some things you might want to know about how this blog will function (eventually):
1. I really am going to explain every part of my novel-writing process. I will go in chronological order, from its birth to the present, telling you exactly how and why I decided to write things. I'm going to explain the development of characters, the main points of the plot, and any difficult or confusing concepts you might encounter.
2. I will attempt to describe the process of inspiration, and different elements that inspired the story, or key images/themes that are significant to the plot.
3. Any time I explain a character, there will be a link above ^ next to those other links--Home, A Description (which you should go read now!), The Other Sock, etc. 
4. Any time I explain a main plot point, a theme/image, an element that inspired the story, or a "landmark" of how I wrote Nondescript, there will be a link above. ^

That's all I have to say for now. If you want to, you can subscribe to the blog via e-mail and get updated when I write again in a week. Stay tuned, tell your friends! You can say you knew me when, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment